Early Edge California is proud to co-sponsor AB 22 to expand Universal Transitional Kindergarten to all 4-year-olds.
AB 22 will extend universal access to full-day transitional kindergarten (TK) programs to all 4-year-olds statewide at no cost to families. By ensuring that each child in California has access to a year of high-quality Pre-K, this bill sets students up for success in kindergarten and beyond.
- Builds upon the state’s landmark TK program to phase in full-day, universal pre-kindergarten by providing a year of TK for all 4-year-olds.
- Implements TK quality improvements to address the social-emotional and early academic development of California’s youngest learners.
- Lowers staff to student ratios to enable educators to meaningfully interact with each child.
- Creates a standard curriculum that bridges the gap between preschool and kindergarten.
- Adds capacity to serve more 3-year-olds in California State Preschool (CSPP) and Head Start, as well as infants and toddlers thanks to companion legislation.
How You Can Support This Bill: AB 22 Sample Support Letter
Track this bill: To track bills, visit the California Legislative Information Inquiry System. Once you have created an account, you can click on the “My Subscriptions” tab to be notified of any hearings, amendments, and actions taken on AB 22.
For detailed instructions on how to track a bill, please click here.
View ECE Bills: Learn more about the bills that Early Edge California is supporting this year.