Resources | February 10, 2021 | Early Edge California
Master Plan for Early Learning and Care: News and Resources
Find information, news, and resources regarding California’s Master Plan for Early Learning and Care (MPELC), released in December 2020.
Early Edge MPELC Contributions
Promoting Equitable Early Learning and Care for Dual Language Learners
The MPELC website features knowledge briefs from experts in the Early Learning field. Early Edge’s Executive Director Patricia Lozano and Director of Dual Language Learner (DLL) Programs Carolyne Crolotte were part of the team of contributors, led by authors Marlene Zepeda, Professor Emeritus, California State University, Los Angeles and WestEd’s Ann-Marie Wiese, that produced the knowledge brief, Promoting Equitable Early Learning and Care for Dual Language Learners.
Early Edge Statements
Read Early Edge’s joint statement with children’s organization Kidango on the release of California’s MPELC.
Early Edge created summaries of key recommendations from the MPELC, including those related to Dual Language Learners (DLLs) and Family, Friend, and Neighbor (FFN) Providers.
- MPELC Key Recommendations
- MPELC Recommendations for Supporting DLLs
- MPELC Recommendations for Supporting FFN Providers
MPELC in the News
- CALMatters: New plan for children offers comprehensive system to meet learning needs (Dec. 3, 2020)
- LAist: A 10-Year Plan For Early Childhood In California With Uncertain Next Steps (Dec. 4, 2020)
- EdSource: Preschoolers learning English need to be identified, supported, says California’s master plan (Dec. 7, 2020)
- EdSource: New Master Plan for Early Learning and Care points way to California for all (Dec. 8, 2020)
- EdSource: Another step toward universal preschool in California? (Dec. 9, 2020)
- EdSource: In the right direction? Perspectives on Gov. Newsom’s education budget (Jan. 13, 2021)
The Early Childhood Policy Council
The creation and implementation of the MPELC receives ongoing oversight and guidance from the Early Childhood Policy Council (ECPC). Learn more about past meetings and our participation:
- Early Childhood Policy Council Holds Inaugural Meeting (Apr. 8, 2020)
- The Early Childhood Policy Council Holds June 8th Virtual Meeting (June 11, 2020)
- Early Edge California Executive Director Patricia Lozano Appointed to the Early Childhood Policy Council’s Parent Advisory Committee (July 1, 2020)
- Early Childhood Policy Council Holds the First Meeting of its Parent Advisory Committee (July 23, 2020)
- Early Childhood Policy Council’s Workforce Advisory Committee Holds Inaugural Meeting in August (Aug. 20, 2020)
- Early Childhood Policy Council Holds 4th Meeting on August 24, 2020 (Aug. 27, 2020)
- Early Childhood Policy Council holds 2nd Workforce and Parent Advisory Committee Meetings (Sept. 17, 2020)
- The Early Childhood Policy Council Hosts Final Meeting of the Year (Nov. 20, 2020)
- Early Childhood Policy Council Hosts First Meeting of 2021 (Feb. 11, 2021)