A Message from Our Executive Director Patricia Lozano
We have been witnessing all that has been happening over the last few weeks. It has been an extremely difficult time for so many, but I am so inspired by the millions fighting for racial justice and equality in our country and across the world.
This past week, we have taken a step back to evaluate our efforts in uplifting California’s children and their families, and the Early Learning teachers who support them, to ensure that we’re aligning with the current efforts to fight against systemic racism. Moving forward, we’re committed, more than ever, to:
- Fighting for the 60% of California’s children, ages birth to five, who are Dual Language Learners to have access to linguistically, culturally, and developmentally appropriate instruction, so that we can close the achievement gap and help them build a strong foundation for future success.
- Advocating for strategies that promote equity and improve conditions for California’s Early Learning teachers, who represent a racially and linguistically diverse population, many of whom are Black women and other women of color.
- Ensuring that all kids in California have access to high-quality programs, especially Black and Latino children.
We will continue our work to promote high-quality Early Learning experiences guided by values of equity and inclusion. In the meantime, we encourage you to take actions such as reading, learning, and contributing by making a donation or signing a petition. And of course, please talk with the children in your life to engage them in critical conversations about racism, justice, and equality.
With hope and love,
Early Edge California
Here are actions that you can take now to keep fighting for racial equality and against injustice.
Talk with your kids. These resources help facilitate age-appropriate conversations with young children:
- Anti-Racism for Kids: An Age-by-Age Guide to Fighting Hate
- Racism and Violence: Using Your Power as a Parent to Support Children Aged Two to Five
- Talking Race With Young Children
- Cómo hablar con los niños sobre los prejuicios raciales
- 10 Consejos para Enseñar y Hablar a los Niños acerca de la Raza
- ¿Cómo hablar con los hijos sobre el racismo y la discriminación?
Donate to these organizations, if you can:
- Black Lives Matter
- NAACP Legal Defense Fund
- Movement for Black Lives
- Reclaim the Block
- Nationwide Bail Fund Network
- Campaign Zero
- Official George Floyd Memorial Fund—Go Fund Me
Sign a petition:
- Color of Change—Sign a Petition to End Violent Policing Against Black People
- You can also text DEMANDS to 55156
- Campaign Zero—Demand Action to End Police Violence
- NAACP Legal Defense Fund—Demand Justice for George Floyd